50 Years of VSI Digital History Project
VSI Digital History Project -50 Years of VSI
A small team of volunteers have been meeting to set up a website to document VSI’s story over the past 50 years.
We have divided the ‘story’ into trends and themes as well as highlighting individual events and happenings. We are working on the following sections -
- The founding of VSI and the early years/ workcamps 1965-1970
- Local group volunteering/community development–late 60’s to mid eighties
- VSI, IVS NI and the response to the conflict in Northern Ireland
- Volunteering in Development; Development Education; Solidarity Work
- Volunteering in Ireland, Europe (short/long term)
- VSI’s Youth Programme – working with young people with fewer opportunities from NICC to Teenage programme
- Special Activities/projects – East West Project 1988; Give way to Bikes; VSI’s Women’s Group; Toyzone; Marriages made in VSI!
- What VSI workcamp and volunteering projects have achieved over 50 years in Ireland
- Trends in volunteering over 50 years
How you can help:
- If you can contribute to any of the subjects/themes above, then please get in contact.
- Do you have any photos from your volunteering time with VSI? It would be great if we could get a copy perhaps with a short story.
- Write a short story of your volunteering experiences with VSI for the website.
- Would you be willing to be interviewed about your volunteering experience?
- Do you have any documents from VSI – AGM minutes; annual reports; project reports, press cuttings etc - especially the years 1965 to 1975?
If you can help in any way with the archiving and/or the digital history project– contact Tom Ryder at the VSI office – firstname.lastname@example.org